Marlborough RFC

everything rugby


Calne 0 - Marlborough 35 (including Nomads report)
Marlborough kept up their winning start to the Dorset and Wilts League season with a one sided affair against local rivals Calne. As expected, the game turned out to be a very physical affair, with no side looking to give anything away. Marlborough took the lead within the 1st minute, as they claimed their own kick off, and Calne illegally competed for the ball, giving Nathan Morgan the opportunity to open the scoring, which he duly took in slotting the penalty. Marlborough wasted some good opportunities in the Calne half with some unforced errors, as Calne did in the Marlborough half, which left the game a very stop/start affair, creating a degree of frustration within both sides. Calne had the next scoring opportunity, however the Marlborough pack yet again were huge in defence, giving away a lot in terms of size, but showing great heart and determination to ensure their line was not breached. Led by captain Richard Trevaskis, the forwards can be rightly proud of ensuring Calne finished the game scoreless.
Marlborough’s next try came from a charged down clearance, as hooker Tom Phillips collected the loose ball and ran in from 40 yards out, being caught by the Calne full back, but having enough to get to the line. The conversion was missed, but Morgan soon made up for this with another successful penalty to extend the lead to 11-0. The final score of the half came when number 8 Jack Cooper picked the ball off the base of a scrum and fended off 3 tackles to touch down, this time with the extras being added, to give Marlborough an 18-0 lead at half time.

The 2nd half was a similarly scrappy affair, meaning lots of set piece. Calne dominated the scrums with their size advantage, but Marlborough’s lineout was functioning at 110%, with Jamie Pittams And Joe Mitchell winning all of Marlborough’s put ins, and stealing Calne ball in the line out on a number of occasions. With the lions share of possession, it was only a matter of time until Marlborough turned possession into points, and this duly happened when Calne once again illegally challenged for the ball on the half way line, giving Morgan a chance to extend Marlborough’s lead, one which was taken to add another 3 points to the score. The final 2 scores came close together towards the end of the game, when the Marlborough scrum half Armori broke free and crossed the line, and then shortly afterwards threw an outrageous one handed 20 yard pass from behind his back which landed in the arms of Francis, who broke through to score. With both tries converted, the final score was 35-0 to Marlborough.

Marlborough can take heart from the game knowing that they didn’t play to their potential, but didn’t tire at all throughout on a baking hot afternoon, and this fitness, along with the knowledge that improvements can be made, will make Marlborough a force to be reckoned with throughout the League season. Sutton Benger are the visitors to The Common on Saturday, who have also won both their opening league fixtures, so a cracking game is in store. Kick off is 3pm, and all support is welcome.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Marlborough RFC. All Rights Reserved.