Marlborough RFC

everything rugby


Supermarine 0 - Marlborough 45 (including Nomads report)
Marlborough got back to their winning ways on Saturday with a convincing win over Supermarine in the Dorset and Wilts League One. Marlborough knew they had a point to prove after their loss in the South Counties Senior Vase Semi Final the previous week, and they proved it with a convincing performance away from home. Going into the game, Supermarine had strung together some encouraging results, and with their pack dominating the set piece in their previous meeting this season, Marlborough knew a tough afternoon could be ahead. This proved not to be the case, as the visitors managed to score the first 2 of their 7 tries within the opening 15 minutes. Centre Remi Digby was first to cross the whitewash, after being put away with a free flowing move following the forward rumbles the Marlborough supporters are getting used to seeing, in particular from captain Dave Lemon. The ball was spun wide for Digby to cross in the corner. This was followed soon after with a drive from a lineout, resulting in hooker Tom Phillips scoring from the base of the maul. The game started to get scrappy after this, with the Supermarine captain taking exception to some fine rucking from the Marlborough squad, resulting in a yellow card for one of their players who threw a punch in a resulting fracas. The visitors took advantage of this, with wing Chris Patterson scoring a trademark try after bashing through a couple of tackles to touch down in the left corner. With Scrum Half Nathan Morgan converting all 3 touchline conversions, Marlborough led 21-0. Fly half Jon Crowe completed the first half scoring with a further try just before the interval, again converted by Morgan, to give Marlborough a 28-0 lead at half time, with the wind advantage still to come.

The half time team talk this week was very different to last, with the Marlborough defensive effort greatly improved, and numbers being committed sensibly to the break down, it was more of the same required in the 2nd half. However, Marlborough were on a final team warning for slowing ball at the ruck, which soon turned into a yellow card for veteran flanker Kevin Clancy, shortly after coming on to the pitch as a 2nd half substitute. With some changes made by the visitors, a re-jigged back line and the return to the 1st team fold of forward Kevin Pike, the game was never going to be as straightforward as the scoreline was suggesting, but further stout defence, and strong running from the forwards and backs, meant further scores were not far away. Man of the Match Will Turner was unlucky not to cross himself but setup another try for the Marlborough centres. The next score came from the returning Pike, who, after a quick tap penalty, crossed in the corner. The tries were complete when Crowe crossed for his 2nd of the game, with the devastating sidestep the Marlborough side have grown to love, due to its ability to wrong foot even the most watchful defences. With one more conversion added, the final score was a convincing 45 0, and another game where Marlborough have not conceded a point.

Next up for Marlborough is the visit of Chippenham, with the game being played at The Common, kick off 2.30pm. Come along to see if the side can make it 15 wins from 15 games in the league as they push towards the South Counties League.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Marlborough RFC. All Rights Reserved.