Marlborough RFC

everything rugby


Sutton Benger 0 - Marlborough 26
Marlborough travelled to Sutton Benger on Saturday looking to make it 16 league wins on the bounce. The game started brightly for the visitors, winning the first 3 scrums against the head, but Marlborough proceeded to give away penalties for silly errors, which needed to be cut out. Some stout defence from both sides meant scoring opportunities early on were limited, with Marlborough veterans Dave Lemon and Kevin Pike making some huge hits in order to stifle the home side.
Marlborough’s first score of the game came when another scrum, led by the front row of Bill Trevaskis, Adam Whatley and Carl Lay, dominated the set piece and Lemon broke away to be unfortunately help up over the line. With Sutton Benger expecting a similar move off the proceeding scrum, the ball was spun wide to Winger Will Turner, who crossed in the corner. This seemed to spur Marlborough into action, although the penalty count was still high, with the referee not allowing a flowing match that both sides seemed to want to play. There were 2 more tries that followed in the half, firstly from Centre Remi Digby, who crossed following another move in the backs, with returning scrum half Owen Lucas diving over following some forward surges in the 22. With the 2nd and 3rd tries converted by Full Back Nathan Morgan, the score at half time was 19-0 to the visitors, who knew they hadn’t played particularly well. Individual errors as well as the high penalty count ensured there was no half time respite for Marlborough, who got a calm and measured team talk, which usually is worse than a famous Gary Sharp tongue lashing!!!

The second half began with Marlborough sucking up a load of pressure, and whilst the defence stood firm, it was again Marlborough errors, which led Benger to be in a decent area to trouble the scorers. With Marlborough infringing in the breakdown, it was a matter of time until the referee awarded more than just a penalty, and this followed when he produced a yellow card for Marlborough’s inside centre, for what can only be thought of as a case of mistaken identity, with the backs lined up near the posts with a ruck formed near the touchline!! This seemed to spur Marlborough on, and a great line ran by winger Chris Patterson dissected the Sutton defence, and led to Patterson scoring in the corner for the 4th try of the day. Morgan added the extras from the touchline, to complete the scoring for the afternoon.

There are some positives that can be taken from the game, with some new combinations tried, and again managing to shut out the opposition for 80 minutes, but individual errors and a high penalty count will again cause some concern for the Marlborough coaching staff, with improvements having to be made in order to progress in terms of the performance they are craving for.

This Saturday Marlborough travel to Corsham, looking to extend their unbeaten league run. With only 6 league games to go, the club is starting to dream of an unbeaten league season.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Marlborough RFC. All Rights Reserved.