Marlborough RFC

everything rugby


Corsham 2XV 0 - Marlborough 79
Marlborough made it 17 wins in a row to remain unbeaten in the Wiltshire and Dorset Division 1. Marlborough hadn’t played the Corsham side this season, with their hosts not arriving for the reverse fixture, so with the game on paper being a straightforward fixture, the side from the common had no idea what Corsham had in store.

The home side started the brightest, with Marlborough yet again giving away needless penalties, which Corsham kicked deep into Marlborough territory. From a knock on in the lineout by the visitors, Corsham had a scrum, which Marlborough then demolished in a fashion that was to shape the rest of the afternoon. This dominance in the set piece, with props Bill Trevaskis and Carl Lay bossing the scrum, and Jamie Pittams winning both Marlborough and Corshams’ lineouts, there was a great platform for Marlborough to build on. Points soon followed, with wing Jonny Mantle crossing in the corner following a large overlap created by the Marlborough pack. Next to get on the scoresheet was Fullback Nathan Morgan, who, following a quick lineout taken by Mantle, broke through a plethora of tackles to cross in the corner. Captain Dave Lemon scored next, from the base of a scrum driven over the Corsham line, which was soon followed by another scrum, where Lemon fed Scrum Half Owen Lucas, who in turn offloaded to Morgan, who put wing Will Turner away in the corner. Another forward drive bought the next try, with a lineout mauled over the line, this time flanker Taff Jones crossed the whitewash. Straight from the kick off, Lemon caught the ball, burst through many half-hearted attempted tackles, before shipping the ball to Joe Mitchell, who scored the 5 points. The final try of the half belonged to Tom Phillips, who was at the back of yet another forward dominated move.

Marlborough made some half time changes, both positional and personnel, in order to try some new combinations. This proved to not work as well as Marlborough had hoped; however the half still bought 6 tries to the visitors. Lemon crossed for his 2nd try of the game, again from a push over scrum, which was followed up by a jinking run from Centre Remi Digby, who crossed the line. The Marlborough backs then crossed for a try, following some great interlinking with Mantle, with players beating tackles and passing at crucial moments. Another Marlborough backs combination led to Mantle crossing again, which was shortly followed by another 2 tries by some great forwards and backs combinations. With Morgan having an off day with the boot and converting just 7 of the 13 tries, the final score was 79-0 to the visitors.

Marlborough have 5 games remaining in the league as they look to complete the season with a 100% record, however they will need to improve on their 2nd half performance if they expect to continue this incredible run of league results. Their next game is at home to Cricklade, on 20th March, kick off at 2.30pm.

Home l About us l News l Events l Gallery l Links l Contact us
© Copyright 2008 Marlborough RFC. All Rights Reserved.